Monday 11 September 2017

Head for the hills of heather

September always marks the heather season for me, and I'm usually found high in the mountains searching amongst the beautiful purple haze to find the best sprigs for my botanical collection. Bell heather is my favourite type due to its rich and vibrant colour and dainty bell-shaped blooms. 

Heather thrives in dry acidic soils, and grows in profusion on moorlands and mountain sides. Over the centuries it has been used in numerous ways; from bedding, brooms, basketry to roof thatching. It's aromatic buds were also used to flavour beer and provide a sweet floral aroma to honey. For me, it is a much loved staple of my collection and is used in two core pieces; My Wild Irish Heart necklace and earrings. Both pieces capture the wild and natural beauty of the Irish landscape at this magical time of the year, and preserve the rich eternal charm of the heather forever. 









No comments:

Post a Comment